photo credit: Dave DietzI’m a Professor of Politics at Ithaca College, and a long-term visiting scholar at the Judith Reppy Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies at Cornell University. My focus is on international relations and comparative politics. My research is in the areas of ethnic conflict, political demobilization, democracy promotion, and the politics of the former Yugoslavia and its successor states.
Education: BSFS, Georgetown University; MIA, MA , PhD, Columbia University.
- Ithaca Seminar: War, Peace, and Terrorism
- Pirates and Mercenaries: Sovereignty in the International System
- Crossing Borders / Global Migrations
- Russian Politics
- Whiteness and Multiculturalism
- Seminar on Violent Ethnic Conflict
- Seminar on Missionaries for Democracy
Select Recent Publications
- Post-Conflict Studies: An interdisciplinary approach. Co-edited with Keith Brown (Routledge, 2014). Part of Routledge’s “Studies in Peace and Conflict Resolution” series.
- The Myth of Ethnic War: Serbia and Croatia in the 1990s (Cornell University Press, 2004), Winner of the American Political Science Association’s Prize for the Best Book on European Politics and Society and co-winner of the Best First Book Award of the Council for European Studies.
Articles and Chapters
- “Democracy Promotion as Mission,” in Post-Conflict Studies: An Interdisciplinary Approach.
- “Political Science and the Yugoslav Dissolution: The Evolution of a Discipline,” in Florian Bieber, Armina Galijaš and Rory Archer, eds. Debating the End of Yugoslavia (Ashgate, 2014).
- “Yugoslavia in 1989 and after,” in Nationalities Papers: The Journal of Nationalism and Ethnicity, vol.38, no. 1 (January 2010), pp.23-39
- “Catholic Relief Services, USAID, and Authentic Partnership in Serbia” in Transacting Transition: The micropolitics of democracy assistance in the former Yugoslavia, Keith Brown, ed. (Kumarian Press, 2006), pp.167-188.
- US Institute of Peace Solicited Grant Program
- IREX Short-Term Travel Grants
- Ithaca College Summer Faculty Research Grant
- SSRC-MacArther Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Peace and Security in a Changing World
- Title VIII Research Fellowship in Russian and East European Studies
Use the navigation bar at the top of the page to go to my Bio and my CV.